22 August 2012

Nathan's Letter Aug 20, 2012


Hey Guys!!

So I had an awesome week. And Gabriel got baptized!!! Whoo!!! haha it was sweet. I really enjoyed the service, and Gabriel got up and bore a super, super powerful testimony about the Book of Mormon. THAT made my day.

We also had stake conference this Sunday (in our ward building) so we had an awesome turnout. Carolina and Bruno are a less-active member and investigator (her son) who came to church. It was the first time in 13 years that Carolina made it to church. Her parents are active members, and when they saw her walk in the door they just about lost it. Super happy!! Well, that was definitely a miracle. We also found an awesome guy named Juan this week, and he is just a stud. He is 35 and has three kids and a wife. We only met him on Saturday night, and this week we will meet the rest of the family. We are really excited to work with him and his family.
Saturday night we also were in an unfamiliar area talking to people and knocking on a few doors when we stopped at a house with an intercom outside the gate. That usually means that the person won`t even come outside to talk to you, but I felt like we should give it a try. I talked to the lady and explained who we were, and I told her that it was her chance to listen to the missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Well, she came out! hahaha and if that wasn´t good enough, she accepted a Book of Mormon and is excited to read it all. Virginia also has a large family, so hopefully this Saturday they will be there as well! 

Our zone is doing really well.  We should be getting a very high number of baptisms this next month. President Kähnlein is really focusing on asking referrals from EVERYBODY and having the Book of Mormon always in the hand. My companion and I have given out like 25 books in three weeks, so we are doing pretty well. All of the books have follow up appointments and we have really seen some awesome results from that. As well, we are really focusing on using the lists that we have of inactive members. We are focusing on finding and teaching part-member families and reactivating receptive families. The biggest problem that I have seen is that nobody knows their neighbor here in Chile. We ask who they know who we can teach, and everybody says the same thing: I don`t know my neighbors because I am always in my house and they are always in theirs. Also, the members lack confidence in their friends and in us. We need to gain their trust and work hard to help them even if they lack the faith in the start. 

Thank you to everybody who has written me, it really makes my day. Thank you grandma!

Un abrazo fuerte,

Elder Hales



Elder Hales, Pres. Ivan (the Elder's Quorum President), Gabriel (the new convert), and Elder Oberg


The view from Nathan's Apt


No comments:

Post a Comment