13 December 2009

This year for Christmas

I skipped the sales after Thanksgiving.
The thrill just wasn't there.
No cookies shaped like Santa Clause,
My decorating has no flair.
Purchased this year were suits, and shoes,
White shirts and ties ....not too much fun.
I bought him all these clothes because...
This year I'm giving Christ my son.

I've spent more time in the temple,
Felt strength come from His words.
I've reread November's Ensign,
and my testimony stirred.
Our family prays more frequently
My tears are quick to run.
Abraham seems closer because,
This year I'm giving Christ my son.

I wonder how the Lamanite moms,
sent their sons off to war?
Or how the pioneers chose Zion ,
their sacrifice was so much more.
Mine is just his two year's absence.
An empty spot my heart; I'll miss him a ton
For two years we will pray for him,
I'm giving Christ my son.

I often think of his boyish grin.
I memorized his eyes, their shine.
That gentle goodness - always a part of him,
Service will polish, mature and refine.
The pathway was marked, he'd always heard,
His choice and mine are one.
Our will and trust placed in God's hand,
This year, I'm giving Him my son.

Yesteryear's presents have lost their glitter,
I think I better understand
Heavenly Father's gift that we celebrate
by placing in His a young hand.
Because I know Christ lives and saves
I give to Him a precious one.
My gift has taken years to make,
This year... I'm giving Christ my son

by Verna Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment