28 May 2013

Nathan's Letter Dated 5-13-13



Hola!!

Hey guys happy mother´s day!! It has been a very, very busy week, but it has been really fun! On Thursday night we traveled down to Viña again, and we had a little bit of time to go to Valparaiso for a few minutes, so that was really fun. It was companion´s last time going down to Viña, and my second to last time.

We got home early on Saturday morning and we spent the entire day getting ready for the baptism of Abel, Elinor, Carlos, Natalia, and Nicholas. It was an excellent service, and I am sure that we all left edified. On Sunday, they all received the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I also was able to talk to my family on the telephone for the last time in my mission. It was really fun to talk to them and share some time together. Well, just in case anybody was wondering, I have seven weeks left in the mission, so if you want to send me a package or letter, this would be the week to do it, otherwise it might not get to me.

Well I have been studying faith lately, and I wanted to just share something small that I have learned.

Belief is an acknowledgment that something is true, a conscience acceptance based on results of an investigation. However, belief in God, in and of itself, is not sufficient to reach salvation. Rather, we must have a positive, empowering motivation that leads us to act on our beliefs, that is to say, we must have faith. Many believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Few have the faith sufficient to follow His teachings, and keep His commandments.

In the same sense, knowledge is to wisdom as belief is to faith. We may know that touching the hot stove will burn us, but if we fail to apply that which we know, we are burned just the same as he who is ignorant. Knowledge is only useful when applied. Belief is useless when left on its own. Let us have the faith and wisdom to learn what God´s will is and to follow His commandments.

I love you guys, have a great week!

Elder Hales

 
The baptisms of Abel and Elinor!
 
A sea of white!

No comments:

Post a Comment